In July 1994 the inhabitable part of a completely dilapidated, neoclassicist building from the year 1825 in Luisenstrasse 19 was rented for operating costs of 1,000 German Marks. During the GDR period it had harbored the legendary artist club "Möwe". The rest of the neighborhood was more sobering; the Reichstag stood empty, still waiting for Christo and subsequent renovation. There was only "wasteland" to the west, where the "death strip" had been - part of the GDR border running along the Spree. Nothing could be seen of the present-day government district.
Upstairs was designated for a hotel with artists. Downstairs was intended for artist studios and living quarters. Initially there were no clear concepts: the project would take on a life of its own and develop in cooperation with different artists. In the Künstlerheim's community kitchen there were often discussions that often lasted until all hours. Pure existentialism!
Although the Künstlerheim Luise had meanwhile become very popular among its many regular patrons, and through the press it had gained attention well beyond Berlin, the end loomed near because of the rotting state of the building and the expiration of the rental agreement in 1997!